Okay, so here's the deal. I LOVE pizza.
But to stay at a healthy weight for my body type, I have to stick to a lower carb diet for most of the time. So I have aquired some low-carb recipes over the last few years for some of my favorite foods, and I'm sharing one of my absolute favorites with you today.
The original crust recipe is called Fat Head Pizza from ditchthecarbs.com, I do it a little differently and I will also share my favorite toppings with you. This high protein, low carb pizza crust is also very filling. You might think you need to double the recipe or make two pizzas, but really- try making one and you may find that it's filling enough, especially with a side salad!
*Note: If you are lactose-intolerant, you might want to proceed with this recipe with caution ;)
Fat Head Pizza Crust
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 slices
The Crust Deets *toppings nutrition facts will vary depending on what you put on your pizza
Serving Size 1 Slice
6oz or 1 3/4 cups pre shredded/grated cheese mozzarella
3oz or 3/4 cup almond meal/flour OR 1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tbsp cream cheese
pinch salt to taste
½ tsp dried rosemary and Oregano (and a pinch of crushed red peppers if you like spicy!)
your choice of toppings. Our favorites are turkey pepperoni, spinach, sun dried tomatoes (get the kind in oil and drain them that way they won't burn), and low-fat feta cheese
For the sauce, I try to find the pizza sauce with the best macros (ie: lowest sugar/net carbs and highest protein)
1. Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
2. Stir, then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds. Stir again.
3. Add the egg, salt, rosemary and any other seasonings. Mix gently and be patient,it will be kind of hard to mix at first.
4. Get your cookie sheet/pizza stone and lay down a piece of parchment paper. Put the crust mixture on the parchment paper, and then place another piece of parchment paper on top. Start pressing the mixture out so it makes a circular-ish crust shape, making the crust about a 1/4 inch thick. Remove top parchment paper once crust is desired shape and thickness. **If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
5. Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly and doesn't bubble up.
6. Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. To make the base really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over (onto baking paper/parchment) once the top has browned.
8. Once cooked, remove from the oven and add all the toppings you like. Make sure any meat is already cooked as this time it goes back into the oven just to heat up the toppings and melt the cheese. Bake again at 425F for 5 minutes.
9. Enjoy!! Makes pretty good left overs, too!
I hope you enjoy!! Let me know down below if you've tried this before, if you just tried it for the first time, and anything differently you did!
See you guys next time,